Monday, January 21, 2008

Mugged by Men with Meat Cleavers...

Not really sure how to do this Blog... but I have had Chrissy in town for a few days and I was taking her to the airport last night where we were mugged by bandits with Shiny Meat Cleavers...
I have got sick of telling the story so... here is my police report!

To the Officer in Charge,

Dhanmondi Police Station,

Dhanmondi Dhaka


Subject: For General Diary Entry


This morning, 21st January 2008, I had rung for a Navana Taxi Cab (Number 591) to pick me up from House 28, Road 2, Dhanmondi at 2:20am and take me and my Australian friend (Christina H) to the airport. Upon arriving down to the gate of my Apartment block my friend and I waited directly outside for the driver to come. He did not arrive at 2:20am so I gave his mobile number a call and he informed me that he was in Mohakali and was coming right away. He took some time to arrive so I called him again at around 2:30am and he spoke to him in Bangla, he didn't understand where my apartment block was, I tried to convince him to come along road 2 and I would be able to find him. He said that he was at Labaid hospital (which is the corner of Road 3 and Mirpur Rd) and that he wanted me to come there. I refused to leave from outside my apartment block and told him to come to me.


By approximately 2:33 he hadn't come from Labaid hospital (which in my approximations is a 30 second drive) and I was approached by a white aged Toyota Camry (approx 1992 model) which had a rear spoiler. This car approached House 28 from Sat Masjid Rd on the Right hand side of the road and pulled up directly outside where I was standing. Out of the car 3 male youths (aged 22-28) approached me and pulled shiny meat cleavers out of their pants and jackets. Whilst waving these knives at us they demanded my wallet (which had approximately 15000tk in it) and my mobile (value 3000tk), of which they took. My friend got frisked but didn't have her mobile or her wallet on her and they didn't take anything from her. All this awoke our guards but they were not able to do anything as the gate had been locked behind me.


After approximately 30-45 seconds the car had reversed into the driveway of the apartment block and the three men got into the car and drove away towards Sat Masjid Rd. Approximately 1 minute later the taxi driver arrived and I collected some money and departed to the airport. Along the way we pulled over and informed some RAB (Rapid Action Battalion) members of what had just happened. These RAB members were also talking to another person who had also been robbed by these men.


Sorry that the story doesn't have much excitement... but then again there really wasn't too much excitement. The police say that there are a few groups still at large committing hijacks within the area.

No comments: